[phpMyAdmin Developers] CONTRIBUTION IN PHPMYADMIN

[phpMyAdmin Developers] CONTRIBUTION IN PHPMYADMIN

Shriti Arora
Dear Sir/Ma'am

I am Shriti Arora , an engineering student majoring in Computer Science from India.
My team members and I are deeply interested in contributing in the open source of Phpmyadmin.
As novice open source developers, we'd like to know how can we contribute to Phpmyadmin so that it aids in your growth as well as our learning experience. Having gone through similar projects, We have the following idea:
While working on this project our main focus would be fixing issues that come up daily along with contributing in the code for the upcoming future features.
We have taken this as a college project , which would be graded at the end of the semester.

Your assistance in this matter is highly appreciated.Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards,
Shriti Arora

Re: [phpMyAdmin Developers] CONTRIBUTION IN PHPMYADMIN

Manish Bisht
Hi,

The first stem is to set up the development environment. You can directly clone the repository https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin or you can use this for steps https://github.com/OpenSourceHelpCommunity/ContributingToMyProject/blob/master/writeups/phpmyadmin_phpmyadmin_manishbisht.md

Once done there are list of open issue on which you can contribute https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/issues You can also filter it by 'newbie' to get familiar with codebase.

There are other projects also. You can check them at https://github.com/phpmyadmin

Happy Coding :)

Manish Bisht

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Shriti Arora <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Raghuram Vadapalli
Hi,

I agree with Manish. You should initially focus on newbie issues. Once you are comfortable with workflow, you can take on some interesting project. For example if an issue like Issue-6267 interests you, you can implement it and we will be happy to guide you. Many such interesting features just keep pending due to lack of time for many of us.

Regards,
Raghuram

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 10:15 PM Manish Bisht <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Isaac Bennetch
Hello Shriti Arora and welcome to you and your team members.

Manish and Raghuram both have written quite good information; I'll just
add a few things in-line below.

On 8/6/17 11:26 AM, Shriti Arora wrote:
> Dear Sir/Ma'am
>
> I am Shriti Arora , an engineering student majoring in Computer Science
> from India.
> My team members and I are deeply interested in contributing in the open
> source of Phpmyadmin.

We always welcome new contributors and enjoy getting pull requests.

> As novice open source developers, we'd like to know how can we
> contribute to Phpmyadmin so that it aids in your growth as well as our
> learning experience. Having gone through similar projects, We have the
> following idea:
> While working on this project our main focus would be fixing issues that
> come up daily along with contributing in the code for the upcoming
> future features.

As you can see in the issue tracker[1], there are many issues that come
in and simply haven't been properly confirmed and tested or haven't yet
been fixed.

You and your team are welcome to jump in and begin looking through to
see if there's any issue that catches your attention. For some bigger
issues, we recommend discussing them first (on this mailing list or in
the tracker itself) in case there is some implementation detail that
needs to be decided.

There's a wiki with some pages that might be helpful[2] and the issue
tracker has some 'newbie' issues tagged[3] which are recommended for new
contributors.

> We have taken this as a college project , which would be graded at the
> end of the semester.

How would you be graded on this; would the professor ask for anything
from the phpMyAdmin team or simply follow your work and code
contributions through the semester?

> Your assistance in this matter is highly appreciated.Looking forward to
> hearing from you
>
> Regards,
> Shriti Arora

Thanks for your interest and best wishes,
Isaac

1 - https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/issues/
2 - https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/wiki/Developer_guidelines
3 -